Rhubarb exhibits up simply in time yearly. Candy, juicy, early summer season fruit is beginning to seem – strawberries and stone fruit and cherries – and we want one thing to mood all that sugary goodness.
Historically, rhubarb is relegated to sharing the highlight with strawberries in pies, tarts, and crisps. However when you haven’t experimented extra with rhubarb within the kitchen, you’re lacking out!
Tart and assertive, rhubarb’s sturdy taste is right in sweeter desserts. It’s daring sufficient to chop by sugar, so it could maintain its personal in jams, syrups, and sauces. For anybody trying to get a style of rhubarb, I like to recommend turning it right into a easy compote, which you’ll then spin into myriad desserts and snacks.
With simply two components, rhubarb compote is superb to maintain available. It’s versatile, flavorful, and may remodel a bowl of yogurt or a slice of toast into one thing memorable.
Right here’s how one can make it:
- Procure some rhubarb! Purchase as a lot as you may presumably carry. Simply kidding. (Form of.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice the rhubarb in half″ slices.
- Measure out how a lot rhubarb you’ve gotten: For each cup of chopped rhubarb, add 2/three cup of sugar. Be aware: You’ll be able to dial down the sugar, however it can get extra tart and bitter as you do. Regulate to your individual style!
- Toss the rhubarb with the sugar in a shallow baking dish or pie pan.
- Bake for about 60 to 70 minutes, stirring each 20 minutes or so. The rhubarb will soften and bubble.
- Take away from the oven and let cool. You’ll be able to “mash” the compote with a spoon when you favor a smoother consistency, or go away it as is. For a really clean, jam-like texture, course of the compote briefly in a blender or meals processor.
Now you’re the joyful proprietor of candy, ruby-red rhubarb…